FSI will be hosting the second annual Financial Advisor Summit in Washington, D.C. The Financial Advisor Summit is a truly unique advisor conference created for financial advisors, by financial advisors. FSI’s Financial Advisor Council and Task Force are developing yet another great year of holistic programming. Stay tuned for updates on the different track topics, and new unique offerings for 2014.
Schedule at a Glance
This year's event has a dynamic schedule of events. Download the printable schedule at a glance.
Sunday, September 28, 2014
- 5:00 – 6:15 p.m.: Opening General Session
- 6:15 – 7:30 p.m.: Welcome Reception with Exhibitors
Monday, September 29, 2014
- 6:30 – 7:30 a.m.: Morning Workout (limited space available)
- 7:30 – 8:30 a.m.: Breakfast with Exhibitors
- 8:30 – 9:30 a.m.: General Session
- 9:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions, focused on the personal and business development of a Financial Advisor
- 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.: Lunch with Exhibitors
- 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions, focused on the personal and business development of Financial Advisor
- 2:00 – 2:45 p.m.: Networking Break with Exhibitors
- 2:45 – 3:45 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions, focused on the personal and business development of a Financial Advisor
- 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.: General Session
- 5:00 – 6:45 p.m.: Reception with Exhibitors
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
- 6:30 - 7:30 a.m. : Morning Workout (limited space available)
- 7:30 - 8:30 a.m.: Breakfast with Exhibitors
- 8:30 - 9:30 a.m.: General Session
- 9:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.: Concurrent Sessions, focused on the personal and business development of a Financial Advisor
- 12:00 p.m.: Conference concludes
Opening General Session: Solving the Hardest Problems of Our Times
Sunday, September 28, 2014 | 5:00 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
Technology and sales executive Tim Sanders knows about business problems. As a best-selling author, people-centric business expert, and former Yahoo! executive, he been on the ground floor of some of the most disruptive eras of modern times. For those in financial services, it’s getting increasingly complex to find and retain clients. For leaders in the industry, team building is one of the biggest challenges as well as one of the best solutions to current issues.
Sanders will share research, case studies and his personal experience related to overcoming those challenges. His remarks will center around positive thinking through lifestyle design, creative thinking throughout the sales and service process and alignment of teams through shared values and purpose.
To him, success comes down to mastering the human side of the business, even in this technology and regulatory laced era we operate in. “If we feed our mind good stuff, think beyond the box and lead others through example,” he writes, “anything is possible!”
General Session: FSI Advocacy Update
Monday, September 29, 2014 | 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
You know what happens in Washington directly impacts your business and your clients future. Get a jump on your competition by learning what’s coming next out of Capitol Hill, the SEC, FINRA and other governmental agencies.
General Session: FSI Interview with Susan Axelrod of FINRA
Monday, September 29, 2014 | 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
You’ll gain valuable insight during this informative interview of Susan Axelrod, head of FINRA’s Executive Vice President of Regulatory Operations, by FSI’s President & CEO, Dale Brown. Susan will share FINRA’s examination priorities, discuss important regulatory developments that impact your business and respond to your questions.
Closing General Session: The Washington Update
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 | 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Early in 2013, Andy Friedman, an expert on Washington political affairs, predicted a downturn in the markets in September as the nation approached the twin deadlines of funding the government and raising the nation’s borrowing limit. He also predicted that Congress would not permit the United States to default on its debt, and that such a downturn would be a buying opportunity for investors, as the markets would rebound once an agreement was in sight. This is exactly what transpired, with the markets suffering a downturn as the funding battles ensued in September and early October, only to recover and hit new highs when it became clear they would be resolved.
In this session, Friedman will discuss these matters and their likely effect on investors and the markets. The ongoing budget battles, as well as the upcoming elections, are likely to spark more market fluctuations. Tax reform could have a significant impact on investors, as it could alter current exemptions, deductions, and preferential rates for capital gains and dividend income on which investors rely. Friedman also will provide strategies that investors and financial advisors can consider to take advantage of (or protect against) changes arising from the above initiatives, including specific strategies for investment, wealth transfer, and retirement planning.
The Financial Advisor Summit agenda includes sessions on:
- Technology trends
- Tips and tools for increasing production
- Succession planning
- Health and wellness
- Investor behavior
- Leveraging the media to increase your visibility
- Aging clients
View the complete list of educational sessions.
Monday, September 29, 2014 | All Day
Throughout the day, make sure to stop by the enrichment zone and explore the various services and tools available to enhance your business and yourself:
- Morning exercise programs
- Free professional headshots
- One on one image consultation with certified image professional, Jane Seaman
- Recharging area for your electronic devices
- Speaker’s corner: purchase books from some of our featured speakers
- Give back! To provide attendees with an opportunity to support our military troops serving in harm's way, FSI is pairing with one of our philanthropic organizations, TroopTreats. We are asking attendees to donate their unused hotel toiletries by dropping them off in the enrichment zone at the Summit. They will be packaged and sent to military personnel serving overseas, along with a note of support.
Mindfulness: A New Way of Being
Monday, September 29, 2014 | 6:45 a.m. – 7:30 a.m.
What would it be like to have a simple tool that you could use anytime and anywhere to immediately:
- Reduce your stress
- Sharpen your focus
- Restore your balance and ease
What would it be like to re-reclaim the space and the time to breath, to think, to reflect, and to consider how you really want to run your business and impact the world? How might that improve your productivity… and your life?
Join Walt Hampton, J.D., success coach and wellness expert, for a short interactive experience of mindfulness and meditation practice. Learn a tool that will super-charge your performance. Leave refreshed, renewed and ready to take on the day.
Registration and Fees
Full Conference for FSI Members
Full Conference for Non-Members
Group Registration (for members only):
12 or more Registrants
Hotel and Travel Information
FSI has negotiated a discount room rate of $219 per night, plus 14.5% tax at the Washington Hilton. Reserve your room online today or call the Washington Hilton at 1-800-HILTONS (445-8667) and reference the FSI room block. This rate is available until September 8, 2014.
1919 Connecticut Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
Phone: (202) 483-3000
Metro: Dupont Circle (Red Line) is a 4 block walk from the Washington Hilton.
Parking: Parking is available at the Washington Hilton. Valet Parking is $46 a day, and self parking is $36 per day.
The Washington Hilton is 20 minutes from Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) by car or by the metro subway system (a 4 block walk from the Dupont Circle Station). The Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) or Dulles International Airport (IAD) are both approximately one-hour away. It is also easily accessible by Amtrak, and Union Station is less than 15 minutes from the Washington Hilton by car or by metro.
View directions and additional details for your arrival at the Washington Hilton.
While in D.C., be sure to check out other sites our nation's capital has to offer. The Washington Hilton is located conveniently near downtown, with easy access to many tourist spots. View local attractions.
The Washington Hilton does not provide airport shuttle service. Estimated transportation costs from the three major airports are listed below. Estimated rates do not include tax, tolls and driver gratuities. Rates are subject to change.
From Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA)
- Metro Access: The Dupont Circle Metro Station on the Red Line is closest Metro Station to the hotel. Exit at the north end of the Station to Q Street and walk four blocks north on Connecticut Avenue to the Washington Hilton, located at 1919 Connecticut Avenue.
- Union Station: Union Station is two miles from the hotel. Take the Metro rail Red Line to Dupont Circle Metro Station. Taxis are also available.
- Taxi: one-way rate of $19. Taxis are located outside of the baggage claim area.
- Super Shuttle: one-way shared van ride with multiple stops rate of $15.
From Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Taxi: one-way rate of $55. Taxis are located outside of the baggage claim area.
- Super Shuttle: one-way shared van ride with multiple stops rate of $30.
From Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Taxi: one-way rate of $65. Taxis are located outside of the baggage claim area.
- Super Shuttle: one-way shared van ride with multiple stops rate of $40.
- Amtrak: train to Union Station metro and continue to hotel; one-way rate of $16.
Valet parking is available at the main Lobby Level entrance on Connecticut Avenue. The rate is $46 for a 24-hour period with in-and-out privileges. The entrance to Washington Hilton’s on-site, covered self-parking garage is located near the corner of 19th Street and Florida Avenue. Self-Parking rates are $36 for a 24-hour period with in-and-out privileges.
Should your participation in the Financial Advisor Summit change, we kindly ask that you contact us no later than September 19 to receive a full refund less a $75 processing fee. After September 19, no refunds will be issued.
Questions? Contact customer service at 1 (888) 373-1840 or via email.